[sdiy] Polyphonic MIDI to CV

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun Jul 11 03:21:09 CEST 2021

On Jul 9, 2021, at 10:45, Peter Pearson <electrocontinuo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah for a string synth you'd want a load of gates, not CV.  I did a quick scan of this article and I think it's basically along the same lines as what you're looking for:
>
> https://www.instructables.com/Adding-MIDI-to-Old-Home-Organs/

This one is geared towards a synth that has already been designed to read a matrix keyboard. A modern, MIDI-only synth would not need any of the keyboard matrix circuitry, since it doesn't have a keyboard. I don't see this one being any use for the project described.

> This Doepfer board is an off the shelf option but I haven't checked availability:
>
> http://www.doepfer.de/mtc.htm

This one does look useful because it has gate outputs. The caveat is that it only has 64 gates, and a top-octave divide-down string synth might have the capability for more than 64 note polyphony. The concept of the circuit would probably be useful in an expanded design.

Brian