[sdiy] Audio converters for DC?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Wed Jul 7 23:03:41 CEST 2021

Jay Schwichtenberg via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> skrev:

> My personal opinion is that this is in the top 10 ten list of dumb shit
> things to do in SDIY.

Alright, I admit this isn't really for SDIY, so the shit* probably seems
even dumber than it deserves.
And I don't have to feel offended. (-;

> These parts aren't made to do this electrically, you've mentioned some of
> the issues.
>
> Then there is the issues of having to go over the I2S interface and
> sucking up uC bandwidth since it's a streaming interface and needs constant
> data.

It's not intended for pure CV needs.  Instead imagine cases where there's
already an audio converter, even an audio signal.
- Synths/soundcards I/O jacks - MOTU and possibly others have already let
audio I/O work for DC CV as well. Many devices these days have both audio
and CV I/O, and it would be nice with something more flexible than having
them fixed to either or.
- Internal audio from a codec in a hybrid synth - an adjustable DC offset
could be useful to calibrate away an offset error in an analog stage
downstream.
- There are surely more reasonable applications as well.

*Funnily enough, when I try to write "sdiy", the top suggestion is actually
"shit"! :-D

/mr