[sdiy] Audio converters for DC?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Wed Jul 7 20:58:22 CEST 2021

Mike Bryant <mbryant at futurehorizons.com> mentioned in the other thread:

You can do DC out with some (but not all) AKM 24/32 bit audio DACs

Is there any consensus around the practice of using audio converters for DC
input/output? Any do's and don't's?

Is it always possible and unproblematic if the converter doesn't have an
internal DC-blocking HPF? For many synth applications such as CV it would
be a problem if there is an offset that is not constant over time,
temperature and use case.

I know I have asked about this topic before, but I'm still interested if
anything new is on the table.

Btw I recently saw an offset of some percents of the full scale in a Texas
ADC where the internal HPF was disabled by accident. Larger offset than I'd
expect.

I've used Cirrus codec DACs for generating DC offsets, but not AKMs yet
IIRC. And at the moment I'm not using that many AKMs for some reason. ;-)

/mr