[sdiy] Quantizer project.. incoming CV's switching point to change to quantized output CV's ...

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Jul 7 07:19:00 CEST 2021

In order to hit 701.995 cents, I assume you'll need a resolution of 0.005 cents on your DAC. If I'm doing the math correctly, that requires an 18-bit DAC, and I don't know any with DC output. That's just for 1 octave of range. If you want 5 octaves of range, you'll need a 20-bit DAC.

Are you talking about a practical design, Mike?

I know that 20-bit ADC and DAC were a thing before 24-bit delta-sigma, but I never went looking before. The first 18-bit DAC I found only guarantees 12-bit accuracy, but at least it's monotonic. I suppose one could spend more than $10 to get better accuracy.

Brian