[sdiy] Quantizer project.. incoming CV's switching point to change to quantized output CV's ...

Richard Wentk richard at wentk.com
Tue Jul 6 15:35:08 CEST 2021

I would ignore microtonal options because they’re impossible to set up and control on a device with a tiny panel, and hardly anyone uses them.

So you get 12 steps -> oct with hysteresis on input, producing a numeric semitone + octave, through lookup tables which translate semitone + oct into various output scales.

Don’t forget scales should be transposable. If you have semitone + oct on input that’s easy with a bit of extra arithmetic.

There are actually two kinds of transposition - modal and in-scale.

You do one before the lookup table and one after.

Quantise -> modal transpose -> scale lookup -> scale root transpose.

E.g. +n -> lookup to C Major -> +0 -> Various modes of major

You’re moving up and down a note range in the same scale with different lowest (‘root’) notes.

+0 -> lookup to C Major -> +n -> Various major scales

You’re selecting different major scales

Of course you can combine these options too. Voltage control of both separately is *very* useful for complex sequencing.

This looks super-complicated, but if you use C scales only in your lookup you can select different roots/modes with the transpose options.

So you don’t need separate lookup tables for C major, D major…. C Dorian, D Dorian.. and so on. Just one for each scale type, and a bit of logic to select the transpositions.

This also works for “short” scales like Pentatonic, triads and other chord shapes, and so on.

Richard
.