[sdiy] My new M110 Sequential Switch module (Moog 962 clone)

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Mon Jul 5 21:56:17 CEST 2021

I used my first PAL in 1979 and then used FPGAs all the time through about about 2010.  But since then they just never seem cost effective, first against DSPs and now against MCUs.  The power you get for $1-2, at least until the recent shortages, is unmatchable.

As for discrete logic, I'm afraid once you take into account the extra PCB area, the extra volume, the usually higher cost and most importantly the reduced MTBF, there's few commercial applications where they're the right solution other than for filling in odd situations, which is why the single gate packages have become so popular.