[sdiy] My new M110 Sequential Switch module (Moog 962 clone)

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jul 5 21:03:08 CEST 2021

The nice thing about a logic-based design is that it works as soon as you apply power.

I love designing with microprocessors when I know that they're needed (MIDI support, as just one example), but I hate having to design in extra connectors for programming the Flash with firmware, and I hate having to wait when new boards arrive to connect a programmer and download firmware. Not only that, but if you work on a design and then return to it a decade later, you'll spend days trying to get your computer set up with the firmware tools, find your old firmware projects, install the programmer tools again, etc.

I've also compared the price of FPGA designs to discrete logic chip designs. Sure, if you're designing something that needs 10,000 gates then the FPGA will win. But I've had quite a few designs where a handful of standard logic chips cost way less than a single FPGA or CPLD, and so logic wins in quite a few designs.

Brian