[sdiy] CV/Gate delay project..

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Jan 30 23:32:51 CET 2021

$1.44 Microchip MCP3221A 12-bit SAR
$2.02 Microchip MCP3465R 16-bit delta-sigma (not recommended)
$3.76 Cirrus Logic WM8196SCDS/V 16-bit 12Msps AFE
$3.98 Texas Instruments ADS7054 14-bit 1Msps SAR

The last one is part of a family of pin-compatible chips that range from 8-bit to 14-bit, 1 Msps to 2.5 Msps, and some are differential (which you won't need for CV). Chips are available in a couple of packages, but they're not through-hole.

I'm getting the impression that through-hole is in low demand, and thus is high cost. Personally, I just pay an assembly shop to handle the surface mount, and I don't worry about it.

You can use a quality analog multiplexer in front to share one high-speed ADC across multiple CV inputs. Some ADC have this mux built in.

The key is to have the analog signals separated from the digital signals, so that the ADC does pick up the noise from the microprocessor.

Brian Willoughby