[sdiy] CV/Gate delay project..

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Jan 29 22:50:29 CET 2021

If you’re *quantizing* you can get away with less resolution, because you only need to know what *note* it was supposed to be, not the exact pitch. That means in theory you could cover the whole MIDI range with a 7-bit ADC. Of course, in practice, that’s not that realistic, but you can see how a 10-bit ADC could do the job quite reasonably. As you rightly point out, linearity is important, but with 10-bit linearity of even +/-2LSB, you still have more than enough resolution for quantising. Just not for anything else!

Rick Holt and I worked on a quantizer module that used the PIC’s ADC for the input over a several-octave range (sorry, can’t remember exactly any more - five. maybe) and used two PWM channels for the output. Ordinarily PWM is much too coarse and slow for a CV DAC with the filtering that is required, but given two channels, we had one that covered octaves 0-7 (of which we only used some) and with 3-bit PWM, the output frequency was in the 100s-KHz range, which makes the filtering easy. The other channel covered the semitone offset, so was set up as 4-bit, still in the 100s-KHz range. So we had a very cheap, very fast, very linear way of producing accurate Note CVs over many octave. The trimming was similarly pretty simple, since the octave range and the semitone range were independent. Just so long as you don’t need pitch bend or modulation!!

But now I’m straying into the DAC end, and you were really asking about the ADC end.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY