[sdiy] Books, magazines and other paper resource about synths

francesco mulassano francesco.mulassano at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:28:51 CET 2021

Ciao!
After a post in the synth-diy marketplace,
a long list of resources has been created which I would like to share here
again hoping it will be useful.

*I am looking for books, magazines, zines etc ... for my private collection
that will one day become (in my plans) a small library that can be
consulted freely here, in my city.*

Feel free to update this list with resource in any language
---
Looking for
- Electronotes - Unfortunately, they no longer ship any materials
- books on synthesizers, electronic and synthesizers like the books from
Delton T.Horn but a human price!

*I am aware that the pdf versions exist, but I am looking for the originals*
---
Suggested books by me

- Delton T. Horn - The Synthesizer (i have the italian version "Il
Sintetizzatore", i don't know if is the same as the english version)
- F.C. Judd - Electronics in music (arrived today, very cool!)
- i have bought this books https://www.dataton.com/shop/the-early-synth-days
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dataton.com%2Fshop%2Fthe-early-synth-days%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3PwYvsviQ5sYsZtPW6_MF0_xDzxdvktYbhSff6zSyGSFqnq-pEBA_VeGs&h=AT01sCKsSBf0hvGNcRa55jsEYkUyLn0b0TbLbLCIlaReTnTm9qlq3LFfm1-bfxLjAIqC2M12DZEhpcIbtR9mORGiCPWjbg_dfzwdXLibki2sgWhLKxssXlpfzOxcvVxe1pws4Kh8>
this
deserve every euro! it's a very nice book, with many photos and many
electronic details of this synth that was the first product of the dataton
(which now produces other things)
- Arduino for Musician

And, if you like old electronic magazine (with sometimes things about
synthesizers)
check this incredible collection, click on vecchie riviste
<http://www.introni.it/riviste.html> (http://www.introni.it)

Other maybe useful links (maybe is better to repost in the main synth diy
mailing list?)
http://www.casacarpi.com/Ricerca_risultati.asp search here for
'sintetizzatore'
then look for the results in the introni website

http://www.hp64000.net/page3/page3_2/page3_2.html
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

*To save time, read my post here*
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2017/07/introni-archive-of-italian-electronic.html

---
Suggested books by Markus the geek

that is a great idea to build a library.

I am on the same search as you and found it really hard to find good books
about synth DIY.

The following is a free download so I understand you could print it out
locally. It is a lot better than many newer books tbh since it deals with
the discrete elements like op amps and OTAs but also the specialized chips
from CEM and SSM that are now available again from the original companies
and also as cheaper clones.

Electronic music circuits : Klein, Barry : Free Download, Borrow, and
Streaming : Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/details/electronic-music-circuits>

I also find the whole Music from Outer Space website amazing with discrete
circuits and detailed explanations, e.g.
Music From Outer Space Your Synth-DIY Headquarters
<http://musicfromouterspace.com/index.php?MAINTAB=SYNTHDIY&VPW=1721&VPH=765>

Then there are the great designs by Thomas Henry. You can buy some books
via an online printing service but honestly I was missing explanations in
them, mostly just a circuit collection.
Thomas Henry - Synth DIY Wiki <https://sdiy.info/wiki/Thomas_Henry>
The following site is excellent with lots of circuit details:
Thomas Henry Designs
<https://www.birthofasynth.com/Thomas_Henry/TH_main.html>
Many of his great magazine articles are available for free (just takes
forever to download this pdf):
File:The Reprint Collection by Thomas Henry CC BY NC.pdf - Synth DIY Wiki
<https://sdiy.info/wiki/File:The_Reprint_Collection_by_Thomas_Henry_CC_BY_NC.pdf>

Maybe check if you can get this one used, I just found one but have not
gotten or read it yet:
Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin

Then I am also looking for the Bernd Hutchins books at list not all the
Electronotes like you. I jumped on this thread as well, no reaction so far:
electronotes/musical engineer's handbook/pcc pdfs - Page 6 - MUFF WIGGLER
<https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=125405&sid=508de186a98e3053bc115ab94d72b22d&start=125>

Finally there are some magazine articles available free for download:
ETI: Electronics Today International. Hobbyist Magazine UK Edition
<https://worldradiohistory.com/ETI_Magazine.htm>
Polyphony Issues (Active) <http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/pl>
Digisound Project 80 synthesizer modules | Digisound 80
<http://www.digisound80.co.uk/digisound/modules/modules.htm>

And then there is more in terms of electronic basic knowledge and maybe op
amps and active filter design, just some free stuff I found.
https://e2echina.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/00-52-01-00-00-04-59-46/OP-amp-for-everyone.pdf
Don Lancaster's Guru's Lair Free eBook Downloads
<https://www.tinaja.com/ebksamp1.shtml>

And some books you have to buy, potentially used or in a older edition:
The Art of Electronics
Practical Electronics for Inventors
Small Signal Audio Design

please let us know if you find additional treasures, specifically from the
birth era of analog synths...