[sdiy] Dead Unobtainable Concentric Pot, What to do?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Jan 20 02:51:17 CET 2021

Here's a worst-case workaround:

Since the pots control input and output levels, just wire the internal PCB with a 10 kΩ resistor and 500 kΩ set to full volume. Then, use other equipment in your studio to control the input and output levels external to the reverb.

I was trying to think of why you can't just substitute other resistance values, and the only answer I came up with is that 10 kΩ and 500 kΩ were probably chosen to provide the correct input impedance, and output impedance.

Yeah, it's not ideal, but a good mixer should have Send and Return level controls sufficient to keep things under control, volume wise. You won't be able to patch just anything in to the reverb, but it would work with extra gain stage patched in.

It will be confusing to have the concentric pot there on the panel, but nonfunctional, but at least you'll have the rest of the reverb.

Brian