[sdiy] FCC And Other Testing

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 15:13:29 CET 2021

Ben gave a good summary.

There are broadly two aspects of CE/FCC compliance testing.  "Immunity" and
"Emissions."  Immunity refers to whether or not your device malfunctions
when exposed to some external interference from another piece of equipment.
Emissions refers to whether or not your device produces interference that
might cause someone else's equipment to malfunction.  For example, an
immunity problem might be that a Digital Synth reboots every time the guy
next door uses his stick welder, or your house heating boiler fires up.  An
example of an emissions problem might be that the Digital Synth radiates
enough interference to block radio reception in the area.  Clearly the
implications of each type of failure are different, and so are the ways you
might find out about them if you haven't done formal testing.  A typical
customer would probably put the odd Synth reboot down to a firmware bug or
just overall poor product design, and it would probably generate feelings of
frustration and a customer complaint at worst.  On the other hand, the
jamming of nearby radio reception is potentially a much bigger problem,
particularly if those radio communications are for a critical service like
Fire, Ambulance, Police or Aviation.

There have been cases where poorly designed or old malfunctioning television
sets have done things like crippled the broadband service in an entire town,
and even initiated a full blown coastguard search-and-rescue mission after
radiating on a satellite monitored international distress frequency.  Whilst
these cases might seem mildly amusing when you think about the authorities
taking away some poor old lady's ancient B&W TV set, the consequences of
non-compliance can potentially be drastic.

-Richie,