[sdiy] FCC And Other Testing

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Wed Jan 13 12:05:24 CET 2021

I have some CE-related experience:

A CE declaration is written and signed by the manufacturer. Not by a testing house. The manufacturer must have a dossier proving that the device complies with all the regulations that are mentioned in the CE declaration. This shows they have done their due diligence making sure they comply with all the various directives (EMC, low-voltage, machine, etc). This could even be done without any testing at all, but by (meticulously documented) design. Although I have never seen that in practice.

Then there’s this grey area: In case of a module (or sub-component) of a system, there is something called a type-II declaration. This means that the manufacturer declares that the device complies to the regulations, if installed properly, etc. But it is up to the integrator/builder of the full system to check that it complies. Perhaps this is applicable to synth modules, I’m not sure.

The most important, if not only, regulations for synth modules would be the one related to the EMC directive. If you hire a testing house to do a full compliance (traceable) test, this can become costly. Many thousands of currency-units. But you can also ask for a pre-compliance test. An EMC-only test should be less than 500 I would guess, if they find no problems. They will also help you solve any problems. (You could even do this yourself, but it is both science and art, and you need some costly equipment.)

Ben