[sdiy] FCC And Other Testing

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Wed Jan 13 11:11:07 CET 2021

I'm not sure about FCC but CE is required even if it's just one unit
ever made for own use within company. Obviously it makes some sense if
that one unit is 100 ton press able to make pancake out of your head in
0.1s, but for something as innocent as module, noone will probably even
bother to disturb you.

That's just about one unit for own use. When you want to sell it on EU
market it must have declaration of conformity (CE), does not matter if
it's 10 pieces or 1 milion. However my personal rough estimate is that
probably 10 out of all 738 eurorack makers have actually gone through
that process.

What usually happens in niche markets and stuff you can't easily find in
supermarkets, is an agency of market regulation gets call from anonymous
concerned customer (who usually is a competitor of reported company)
complaining that this product is not safe and CE is fake. Then the
agency tests the product and if not lucky, it may kill the business for
that guy.
That's what I heard from certified company making various EU-required
tests and approvals.

Roman