[sdiy] 90-degree phase displacement network calculations

Liam Wall liam.wall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:39:57 CET 2021

Thanks David for sharing this stuff.

Agree with what Guy has said below, and would add to that all the same
applies to standard sine, exp, ln, and sqrt --- these are functions that we
can't compute exactly for all input values, but we know how to compute
sufficiently good approximations in a known (short) time. All considered
"closed form". As far as I can tell "closed form" isn't really a precisely
defined mathematical term. In fact, quoting the opening line of the
Wikipedia page "The set of operations and functions admitted in a
closed-form expression may vary with author and context". So are sn and K
in or out? It's pretty much arbitrary.

I've no idea how much accuracy Excel can manage. I think floating point
doubles are 64 bits in most languages? In the interests of science I
calculated the k'(i) series starting with k'(0)=0.0001 using 2048 bit
floating point values (the most I have handy). Excel gave David k'(6)=1.0;
all the extra bits gave k'(6)=0.9999999999990897, and k'(7) == 1.0.