[sdiy] VCF caps in modern synths

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Fri Jan 8 16:29:44 CET 2021

>Yesterday I did some very non-scientific testing of 3320 4pole BPF built using C0G vs polypropylenes. The test may have been more about the tolerances of the caps rather than the dielectric, since my polys are 2.5% vs the C0Gs at 5%. I noticed that at lower frequencies, the polypropylene version would go into oscillation before the C0G version. Any thoughts on this?

Was this SMD or through hole ?   It’s possibly down to lead inductance or series resistance being higher in the C0G.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 6:37 AM Mike Bryant <mbryant at futurehorizons.com<mailto:mbryant at futurehorizons.com>> wrote:
Hehe.  I remember I built a Moog ladder filter using 47nF X7Rs in the early 1980s and the capacitors were so bad back then it actually killed the Q so you couldn't get the thing to self-oscillate no matter how hard you tried.   I expect Behringer use newer versions in their Model D and get the right sound nowadays.