[sdiy] VCF caps in modern synths

ColinMuirDorward colindorward at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:02:07 CET 2021

Today I selected components at JLC assembly service and I noticed that by
default the cheapest 100pf option was 0.08cents C0G.

why? If you like the sound of a filter that uses a certain (in this case
“whatever” ) cap, why would you hope that manufacturers use something else?
If you don’t like the sound, that is something different. Oddly, when I
think of an SH-101 I think of something that is almost too stable.

If this question is regarding my hope that modern manufacturers are at
least using C0Gs, then I will answer that I don't have much modern gear to
like or not like the sound of the filters, but when I do acquire some, I
hope the filters do not disappoint me!

Yesterday I did some very non-scientific testing of 3320 4pole BPF built
using C0G vs polypropylenes. The test may have been more about the
tolerances of the caps rather than the dielectric, since my polys are 2.5%
vs the C0Gs at 5%. I noticed that at lower frequencies, the polypropylene
version would go into oscillation before the C0G version. Any thoughts on
this?

https://www.instagram.com/colinmuirdorward/
-
<https://www.instagram.com/colinmuirdorward/>