[sdiy] VCF caps in modern synths

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed Jan 6 11:04:29 CET 2021

Thanks to their use in mobile phone, ceramic capacitors have come on a long way in the past 20 years.   You won’t find microphony in any of the good brands (I always specify Samsung or Yageo), be they NPOs or X7Rs.  Imagine what a smartphone would be like if it was microphonic ?

The only time I can think of a ceramic in a filter sounding different would be in a Moog ladder if you were running flat out – at very high voltage swings there is a slight capacitance change with voltage, though this is more with X7Rs than NP0s.   I imagine commercial synths just keep the signal levels down to stop this becoming an effect.