[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 12:19:20 CET 2021

Skip all the 8-bit and 16-bit bs and go straight for a high powered
arm cpu with C, Micropython, or arduino-copilot running on it, or
something to that effect. Arduously optimizing stuff and working out
timings in inner loops is not worth anyone's time nowadays, not until
you're building things in the millions of units. don't waste your time
and just develop for something powerful.

And before you think of it, if you have to have a UI with a screen,
don't even bother writing for an LCD driver on your arm micro.
instead, have an LCD driven by a raspberry pi, over hdmi, so people
can hook up something larger, and have that raspberry pi talk to the
arm micro via i2c or serial, in a format that is easy to understand
(and hopefully human readable to some extent). i.e. if someone tries
to reverse engineer it in the future, it's easy. suddenly the
serviceability of your synth shoots up by 1000%, and the ease of
development will pay dividends through massively reduced time to
market. honestly nowadays developing non-repairable digital user
interfaces using proprietary software which can't be debugged after it
hits the market is not just a stupid waste of effort, it's unethical.
Just look at what John Deere are doing to squeeze money out of
farmers, and you'll agree.

The highest cost in a synth still remains and will likely forever be
the metal enclosure and the potentiometers.