[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:25:37 CET 2021

On Wed, 2021-02-24 at 22:05 +0000, Neil Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Liam Wall wrote:
> > Not sure if its changed, but last time i tried to use an STM
> > discovery board all the ST tools seemed to be windows only. That
> > may or may not be a consideration for you.
>
> It is certainly possible to develop for the STM32 chips on Linux,
> using gcc, gdb, and texane stlink adaptor so you can debug on the
> devices directly.  I've done this several times, and with gdb you can
> choose which front end you prefer (I used kdbg).

Seconded. I've been developing for STM32 on Linux since day 1 and my
toolchain is:

* Fedora Linux (up to v32 now)
* Favorite text editor (SciTE or Atom)
* ARM GCC (arm-none-eabi-*)
* GDB (from the same suite)
* make
* OpenOCD (for talking to the ST-Link downloader)
* ST-Link 2.1 or 3.0 download pod w/ serial port
* gtkterm for serial diags

This does everything I need for the work I've been doing for the last
10yrs on ARM-based Modcan, AD and SynthTech modules. Since I'm
invariably working on realtime audio processing with lots of DMA and
IRQs running I can't usually stop for single-stepping, but run-time
serial diagnostics and GDB crash analysis does everything I need.

Eric