[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Wed Feb 24 23:10:45 CET 2021

 > So far I have never encountered the need for a whole OS, be it linux or some embedded os. That could easily change, but the idea of using a linux package manager seems way too heavy to my taste.

I produced a large audio product using Linux on a Raspberry Pi4 (six of them actually) and the results weren't perfect.  The Linux ALSA audio subsystem is terrible so I wrote that out pretty quickly, but even with commands like isolcpu, you still get Linux interrupting things so I've now converted it all to bare metal.  That said, I would still always prototype a large system on Linux first, then convert to bare metal, rather than start on bare metal, as the Linux support and debugging tools are good.