[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

Markus markusthegeek at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 23:06:13 CET 2021

I would also go with the stm32 libs based on Arduino and a blue pill chip to start. Very fast and you can debug if you get a cheap st-link v2 usb adapter and use visual studio code with the Microsoft extension for arduino development. You can still move up to faster stm32 boards like f104...
All this is super cheap from AliExpress like $2 for the blue pill so same price as arduino nano clones!
Gruß Markus

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 13:55, Ben Stuyts<ben at stuyts.nl> wrote:   Hi Jean-Pierre,

Some things to consider:

The Arduino environment does not support debugging as far as I know. So if you want to set breakpoints, single-step, examine variables, etc, look for a better environment. You can use printf’s to the serial or rs232 port though.

If you’re up to it, maybe now is a good time to step up to a 32-bit micro. They are often cheaper, much faster, and with more memory and peripherals than the Atmel AVR’s used in the basic Arduino’s. But they have a steeper learning curve than a simple PIC or AVR. A problem might be that they are almost exclusively available only in SMD package. But there are many ready-made boards available with headers for the I/O’s. If you want to try it out, some options are:

- Cheap Arm boards like the Teensy. They could also be programmed by the Arduino environment if you like that... https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

- A Microchip ATSAM Xplained board. These use Arm Cortex micros from formerly Atmel. For example: https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/PartNO/ATSAMD20-XPRO

- A ST Discovery or Nucleo board. For example: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-nucleo-boards/nucleo-g070rb.html

Both Microchip and ST boards have an on-board debugger. They have free development environments with support for debugging.

Ben