[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

Ben Stuyts ben at stuyts.nl
Wed Feb 24 22:48:30 CET 2021

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Some things to consider:

The Arduino environment does not support debugging as far as I know. So if you want to set breakpoints, single-step, examine variables, etc, look for a better environment. You can use printf’s to the serial or rs232 port though.

If you’re up to it, maybe now is a good time to step up to a 32-bit micro. They are often cheaper, much faster, and with more memory and peripherals than the Atmel AVR’s used in the basic Arduino’s. But they have a steeper learning curve than a simple PIC or AVR. A problem might be that they are almost exclusively available only in SMD package. But there are many ready-made boards available with headers for the I/O’s. If you want to try it out, some options are:

- Cheap Arm boards like the Teensy. They could also be programmed by the Arduino environment if you like that... https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

- A Microchip ATSAM Xplained board. These use Arm Cortex micros from formerly Atmel. For example: https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/PartNO/ATSAMD20-XPRO

- A ST Discovery or Nucleo board. For example: https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-mpu-eval-tools/stm32-nucleo-boards/nucleo-g070rb.html

Both Microchip and ST boards have an on-board debugger. They have free development environments with support for debugging.

Ben