[sdiy] Microchip.. for futur projects, choice to do.. PICs or Arduino

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 22:41:14 CET 2021

As a long-time Microchip customer, I feel your pain.

Out of interest what aspect of the debugging isn't working as you want? Is it a particular peripheral that's playing up, or you can't set breakpoints, got problems getting ICD to connect on USB, etc?

Some possible things to try:

Try a known good replacement part.
Try using a different PIC model.
Keep ICSP data and clock lines short.
Power the device externally, not from ICD.
Try a really simple program blinking a LED.
Try programing it in release mode instead of debug mode, to see if it runs.
Post messages to a spare UART or software UART for debugging.

I must admit I've been using MPLAB 8.92 for years with no problems but still find MPLAB-X to be really slow and flaky. Even though it's been out for several years now!

Good luck,

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2

---- Jean-Pierre Desrochers wrote ----