[sdiy] anyone tried this SMPSU?

Guy McCusker guy.mccusker at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:59:19 CET 2021

Some modern linear regulators do a pretty good job of rejecting ripple
from switching regulators, but you need to be pretty careful about PCB
layout to obtain the results that the datasheets claim.

There's an interesting passage in thie App Note
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an159fa.pdf
(around Figure 19) in which it turns out that adding an input
capacitor to the linear regulator made the ripple rejection worse,
because of inductive coupling. One solution is to remove the
capacitor, and another is to lay the PCB out in such a way that no
magnetic fields are created which can couple this way -- that is
discussed in the LT3094 demo board manual.
https://www.analog.com/media/en/dsp-documentation/evaluation-kit-manuals/DC2624A_UG-1386.pdf

I've had good results with this kind of thing though I am no test and
measure guru so it is possible I missed some noise somewhere.

Guy.