[sdiy] anyone tried this SMPSU?

ColinMuirDorward colindorward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:43:26 CET 2021

Conductive shielding is something I've never implemented, great idea to fab
PCB for the job, I'll give this a go. I thought a conductive shield would
need to be grounded, how can it do anything if it's just a floating piece
of metal? Well I have seen people with tinfoil hats in the movies.

I looked up "conducted EMC" and got a little lost in all the other EMC
acronyms. What does it stand for here?

Also a great idea to use these as replacement supplies for dying gear. I
actually have an MPX1 and a DX7S, so maybe I'll need a few extras one day!
In more dire need of repair is my JX-10 supply, which is suffering from a
(mechanically) buzzing transformer.

Is anyone regulating SMPS down for example from 15v to 12v? My
understanding is that HF noise will pass right through the lm317, etc, and
yet I see it is very popular to use SMPS brick/wallwart connecting to a
eurorack case which then uses linear regulators to derive 12v. I was just
looking at the behringer euro supply, and I think it actually uses two
SMPSUs: one in the power brick, and then another in the module itself. I'm
sure it works, but is that a little goofy?

Thanks folks!

https://www.instagram.com/colinmuirdorward/
-
<https://www.instagram.com/colinmuirdorward/>