[sdiy] anyone tried this SMPSU?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 17 04:10:01 CET 2021

On Feb 16, 2021, at 14:25, ColinMuirDorward wrote:
> I know there are many opinions about linear vs SM. Personally, I've always built linear supplies, since I have a better chance of fixing them. Linear seems like a more straight forward approach. OTOH most of the gear in my studio uses SMPSUs and I make music just fine on those.
> Here is an attractive package with an attractive price, at around $20cad:
> https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/PD-25/PD-25-spec.pdf
> Sizewise, it's perfect for installing in small, independently powered rack cases, which is my preferred arrangement.
> Any thoughts?

If at all possible, surround the supply with conductive shielding of some kind. A shield will help with the biggest downside of SWPS - the possible radiated noise.

intelligel seems to have fabbed a small PCB that covers their switching supply. Other than the company logo, there's nothing but a ground plane on that PCB (and I think it's even floating, because the PCB standoffs are nylon).

Mean Well aren't perfect, but they do quite well.

Brian Willoughby