[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Mon Feb 15 22:22:29 CET 2021

I think you're conflating autotune and spectral gate. They do both have FFT in common, but so many effects have FFT in common and that doesn't mean they're necessarily related.

My point is that the spectral gate does not need to make any attempt to work out the prime element in each band, and that's a very expensive algorithm. If you're not dealing with the most expensive calculation in one effect (autotune) then there's no real need to consider it the same as or even related to another effect (spectral gate).

Spectral Gate can ignore the phase element of the real FFT results, and focus only on the amplitude. Gate (of a single FFT bin) is basically a pure amplitude operation.

I worked on porting a Spectral Gate effect from VST to AudioUnit in the early days of Mac OS X. The project never got finished, and I worried about the artifacts from altering sound in the frequency domain. This effect had the usual Gate threshold, but it was applied individually to each band. I recall that there was a way to measure the "noise" during "silent" excerpts of the audio, and this frequency domain curve was used to apply a different threshold to each bin of the FFT.

If I'm missing something about Spectral Gate that makes it more like Autotune than I've described, please point it out.

Brian