[sdiy] CD sound quality evolution

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Mon Feb 15 20:58:39 CET 2021

From: Synth-diy [mailto:synth-diy-bounces at synth-diy.org] On Behalf Of Roman Sowa

>The worst unlistenable CDs I've heard were usually re-editions bragging in bright text about being digitaly remastered around year 2000. They sounded not even near to what was heard on original.
> They sounded bad not because technology was weak, but because people remastering it had no idea how to do it and terribly mistreated dynamics, EQ and who knows what else.

Agreed.  Oddly enough it was often band members who did this remastering, and whilst a few understood sound engineering, often it seems members and ex-members of King Crimson - Sinfield, Lake, Fripp, Wetton, Giles, Bruford, etc - it is surprising how bad some let's leave them nameless guitar heros made their best albums sound, often worse than the original vinyl.

> PS. this went so far away from original subject

Yes I've changed the title :-)