[sdiy] ADc & DAC voltage dividers.. fixed or trimmer adjustables ??

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Sun Feb 14 12:59:25 CET 2021

I would say get rid of the trimpot and make trimming in firmware. One
multiply and one addition per sample and you're done with gain and
offset errors. You can even do it as autocalibration - use a patchcable
to route input to output, press hidden button and softrware does the job.
Trimmers can change when dropped on the floor, when they get old, they
can get loose wiper contact and as others said - may add noise. Not to
mention curious user turning it for fun.

Still if you prefer trimmer anyway, why not make it smaller. Now the
full travel changes your divider by about 6%. Since you plan 0.1%
resistors there, then IMHO 100ohm trimmer with R1=R3 and R2=R4 would
work better and provide more precision in adjusting perfect match. Or
insert digital pot there paraleled by 100 ohm resistor and make auto
trimming in firmware. This way there's no need to multiply calibration
data every sample.

BTW, any spectacular matching will be ruined if you keep R5 outisde the
feedback loop.

Roman