[sdiy] ADc & DAC voltage dividers.. fixed or trimmer adjustables ??

Jean-Pierre Desrochers jpdesroc at oricom.ca
Sat Feb 13 21:24:35 CET 2021

Hi list,

I'm in the process of design for 16 bits ADC/DAC circuits.

This circuit will receive a 0-8vdc CV voltage, drop it down to 0-5vdc,
process it through a MAX11100 16 bits ADC (reference voltage  REF02 +5.00v)

Then process the cpu data out to a LTC2641 16 bits DAC (reference voltage
REF02 +5.00v).

The DAC's 0-5vdc will then be amplified back to 0-8vdc.

To keep as much as LSB precision I'm wondering if the voltage dividers

Should be fixed or adjustable..

See the attached schematic. The 5v to 8v amplification on the DAC section

Is made using U19B , R3 & R4 (fixed gain of 1.6)

And the ADC attenuation is made using U19A, R1, P1, R2. (adjustable
attenuation of 5/8).

What would you use for a 16 bits ADC/DAC transfer like this ?

Fixed resistor values (shown in DAC) or 2 resistors with a center trimmer
(shown in ADC)?