[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Fri Feb 12 20:02:58 CET 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:12:34AM +0000, Mike Bryant wrote:
> > p.s. While you're experimenting with this digital accumulator (I can't wait to hear what results you get), I'm toying  around with ways to get continuous frequency control out of digital oscillators. I want to do this without using software BLEP and other > tricks that consume a lot of processing power. That's because I want to get frequency out of the discrete realm and into the continuous realm. I don't know that it will *sound* better, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to try...
>

> Surely once you get to a 32 bit accumulator then its way beyond any discrete step your ear can determine.  Any perceived difference would thus be in the realm of those people who claim to be able to hear the difference between decent op-amps or low-noise transistors.
>
> I'm also not sure why people use BLEP or other techniques - just use the accumulators to create a perfect sawtooth, square, triangle or indeed noise, and then put it through a simple digital filter before the DAC to get rid of anything that could alias.   If you run at 96kHz sampling this becomes pretty trivial in computational terms - a few shift rights or multiplies and some adds.

That doesn't actually work.

If you generate a step, you generate aliasing and it's already down in your desired audio spectrum.  You'd need to run at some small number of MHz sampling rate, filter, and then decimate to 96kHz.  If you generate a naive sawtooth at 96kHz it'll alias like crazy in the low hundreds of Hz.

--
Gordonjcp