[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 12 06:46:21 CET 2021

On Feb 11, 2021, at 21:34, cheater cheater wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Brian Willoughby wrote:
>>
>> Often, the voice allocation algorithm has a lot more to do with how an analog sounds.
>
> In what way? That sounds interesting.
>
> Of course note stealing is a thing, but it's not necessarily that
> important for the sound.
>
> Do you mean that the voice allocation algorithm will choose different
> voices, and those will be calibrated differently, and that's why a
> different voice allocation algorithm will make the synthesizer sound
> different? eg round robin vs lowest note priority.
>
> Thanks!

Exactly. You got it. There's also reassign note, where the voice allocation will see that a new note matches an old note on a "silent" voice, and pick that voice over other voices because it should take less time to get that particular VCO to the right pitch because it's actually still running at that pitch.

Voice stealing and other problems with trying to play too many voices is a separate concern.

I'm talking about how a chord doesn't quite sound perfectly in tune - even on an analog synths that's warmed up - because each voice isn't tuned exactly and precisely the same as the others.

Brian