[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 12 05:42:56 CET 2021

On Feb 9, 2021, at 10:48, cheater cheater wrote:
> Good to know! I was thinking of making the expo analog as well. I kind
> of want to keep the oscillator "low fi" in that way. I know you can
> add digital drift, that's just one of the things you can do. Ultimate
> versatility isn't necessarily the main objective of this sort of
> design.

Has anyone reported actual numbers on drift? I talking about drift specifically as separate from component variation from voice to voice in a polyphonic synth.

My impression of analogs is that all the drift happens while the synth warms up, and then it basically stops. If you want 30 minutes, then what you're left with is the difference between the analog components in each voice. So, the voices do not match each other precisely, but they're not really drifting any more.

Of course, some devices are designed to maintain a very precise temperature so that drift is basically eliminated. Other devices have tempco resistors in an attempt to adjust for varying temperatures, as much as possible.

Often, the voice allocation algorithm has a lot more to do with how an analog sounds.

Brian Willoughby