[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 12 05:24:11 CET 2021

On Feb 9, 2021, at 01:34, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> There was someone here some years ago who’d done a voltage-controlled oscillator on a dsPIC. The cunning part of that was that the output waveform was a triangle instead of a ramp. That massively reduces the aliasing problems, and since triangle-core oscillators are common, there’s a lot of wave shaper designs you can tack on the end.

I realize that you said "massively reduces," but I want to point out that a triangle still has discontinuities in the first derivative of the waveform, and this has problems of its own. See Eli Brandt's paper titled "Hard Sync without Aliasing."

Of course, less of a problem is better than all the problems.

Brian Willoughby