[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Thu Feb 11 21:28:31 CET 2021

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 20:22, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11.02.21 20:19, Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
> > On 11.02.21 08:46, cheater cheater wrote:
> >> Here's one thing I've been wondering about. Is there a form of ADC
> >> where every sample represents the total charge that passed through a
> >> conductor since the last sample? Normally, an ADC will only sample
> >> voltage (or current) at the time of sampling, but we don't really know
> >> anything about what happened between sampling intervals.
> >
> > yes, the same way we don't care for the values of sound pressure between
> > each sample interval at 1/44100s (or 96k or 192k...) Even if they exist,
> > they would not add any information we can hear.
>
> proper antialiasing assumed of course

Exactly, total filtering of the above-Nyquist frequencies is needed, and
then we can forget what's in between the samples. But that's not really
because it wouldn't add information, it's because the inbetween waveform is
totally determined by the sample points. The waveshape between them
couldn't have any other shape, because then it wouldn't be
antialias-filtered.

/mr