[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:46:38 CET 2021

Here's one thing I've been wondering about. Is there a form of ADC
where every sample represents the total charge that passed through a
conductor since the last sample? Normally, an ADC will only sample
voltage (or current) at the time of sampling, but we don't really know
anything about what happened between sampling intervals. If we assume
that the current was roughly constant during the sampling, that's
fine. But if it changed during that time, then we have to do some sort
of interpolation. Even if we do a linear interpolation, maybe the
current going through the conductor was concave or convex. Being able
to sample the total charge going through a cap would be much easier,
since I'd be converting the input data into a charge amount anyways
(to be added to the virtual capacitor).