[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 10 00:22:37 CET 2021

On Feb 9, 2021, at 01:54, cheater cheater wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:35 AM Brian Willoughby wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 8, 2021, at 23:46, cheater cheater wrote:
>>> (note: you might think you probably don't want to run the
>>> synth engine at 12 MHz, but that's what most virtual analogs run at,
>>> 192 kHz at 64x oversampling)
>>
>> Really? Do you have a citation for that?
>>
>> Are you talking about software virtual analogs (plugins on standard OS inside a typical DAW) or hardware virtual analogs (DSP firmware)?
>
> Citation? Are we in court? :)
>
> Yeah, oops, 64x is a bit much. I was probably thinking of something
> else... they usually run at 4x or 8x tops, which I checked using a
> double-blinded, randomized, controlled trial with full peer review, I
> hope that satisfies the wikipedian in you :)

Sorry if you don't like questions. :)

I write AudioUnit plugins that utilize oversampling techniques, I design DSP-based hardware that runs with sample rates as high as 6 MHz, and I design PCBs with pure analog circuits. All of my questions are driven by serious, hands-on knowledge - and a desire to learn about things I haven't tried yet. I also try to understand how the gear that I buy works, because I don't have time to design things that have already been mass-produced. None of this is courtroom or Wikipedia focused.

Just so's ya know...

Brian