[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 10 00:15:22 CET 2021

Those are good points, Eric.

Another downside of FPGA designs is that they can consume a lot more power than a purpose-built DSP. They're certainly all the rage right now, but that doesn't guarantee that they're the best choice.

Companies like Texas Instruments make DSP chips like the TMS320 C5000 family that can run quite a while on battery power. They've been fine-tuning the transistor count for signal processing for decades, and you can get quite a lot of parallel processing going on - literally parallel, not just multi-tasking - to solve signal processing challenges. They have timers, DMA, synchronous serial ports for digital audio streams and ADC/DAC/CODEC interfacing, and five separate busses for read and write access to multiple memory banks. It's amazing how much data can be moving around without software interaction, while still having code handling the complex parts.

Another positive for DSP chips is that they can be obtained in packages like LQFP that aren't as problematic as BGA or QFN.

Personally, I find it much easier to design with a part where I can write in a language that allows stepping through the code and quick iteration of ideas. Texas Instruments has JTAG interfaces that allow you to graph time domain and frequency domain signals within the chip memory in real time. I'm not aware of tools for FPGA that allow so much debugging support.

Brian