[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Aaron B. aaron at zadzmo.org
Tue Feb 9 23:33:18 CET 2021

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 17:21:02 -0500
Daniel Roberts <danmroberts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Along these lines, I'm curious if it's possible to digitally generate a
> triangle wave at half the needed frequency via a DAC, but then double the
> frequency in hardware via a full-wave rectification followed by DC-removal
> frequency doubling circuit? Via chaining of frequency doublers,
> could someone get away with generating digital signals at a relatively low
> sample rate with such a scheme?

I would guess that the output would rapidly devolve into a stepped
waveform, especially at higher frequencies.

But you did give me an unrelated idea, analog tricore VCO + a series of
multiplying waveshapers + tri to sine converters... a lot of parts, but
a potentially interesting form of additive synthesis.

--
Aaron B. <aaron at zadzmo.org>