[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue Feb 9 16:32:31 CET 2021

> There was someone here some years ago who’d done a voltage-controlled
> oscillator on a dsPIC. The cunning part of that was that the output
> waveform was a triangle instead of a ramp. That massively reduces the
> aliasing problems...

Neat!  I wonder if you could take that process all the way and have the NCO
output a sinewave (to remove all aliasing.)  Obviously you could easily use
analogue electronics to derive a square wave from that with a comparator,
but not sure how you could shape it into a triangle or sawtooth waveform!?

I guess it's all irrelevant really though as BLIT, BLEP, minBLEP, poly-BLEP
etc, all work very well for directly generating the common analogue
oscillator waveforms at 48kHz or 96kHz sample rates.

-Richie,

https://www.avg.com