[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 11:40:28 CET 2021

Hi,

> I was wondering if anyone ever experimented with replacing the
> accumulator core with a digital setup. Essentially you would have
> control voltage turned into current being shunted to ground, and you'd
> sample this current with the ADC, accumulating it in software.

This could be easy to do with a shunt resistor feeding into a
transimpedance amplifier and then into the ADC.  Plus anti-aliasing
filters depending on the ADC sample rate, level shifters, etc.

> You might want to use a shunt resistor with bad tempco ... just to
> keep things feeling "analog" ...

It might be better to consider doing that in the digital realm so that
you can define the specific flavour of "analog" you want (East/West
Coast, North/South Divide, Moog, Vogue, Oberheim, Tescos, Buchla,
Scotch Bonnet, etc).

But please do:
"Build It... Try It...Tell Us How It Sounds!!"

Cheers,
Neil