[sdiy] Digital accumulator VCO core?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:46:14 CET 2021

There's a couple reasons to measure current. First of all, this is
core only - so the exp etc happen in analog still. And because of
that, those electronics will act differently when fed into low
impedance and high impedance. Hence measuring current. The issue with
many virtual analog synths is that they think an oscillator is just a
shaped ramp, essentially just a very simplified accumulator capacitor,
and so they don't model all the electronics that happen around that
capacitor. That's a problem and if you want to replace /just/ the
accumulator with digital electronics then you should definitely also
include all the other stuff around the oscillator, since that is also
going to have its own character.

When switching, what you actually want to do is to continue
accumulating in an aliased manner, but when you're outputting, you
instead limit the slew rate to something outside the audio range. This
way you can avoid aliasing. You can play back a band limited sample of
a switch, using a technique like MinBLEP etc. But at 12 MHz, who
cares, right? You just bandlimit the thing somewhere, and you're done
with it. (note: you might think you probably don't want to run the
synth engine at 12 MHz, but that's what most virtual analogs run at,
192 kHz at 64x oversampling)