[sdiy] Keyboard style switches for synth keyboards? Keys from PBT plastic?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 05:54:42 CET 2021

Yes, polybutylene terephthalate.

Not sure if piano /style/ keys, but i was thinking about piano
/shaped/ keys, like you have on synths normally, i think such switches
might be pretty good for that stuff.

Depending on how you structure your mechanism, you can - while still
using normal synth keys you can buy off the shelf - use a switch
during the whole travel, or only during the last few % of the travel.
In the latter design, you would use a strong return spring (in many
switches those are replaceable) and then you would feel extra
resistance during that last part of the travel. Either case you'd
probably need to stick something like a piece of teflon on the
underside of the key where it comes into contract with the pc keyboard
switch.