[sdiy] Tap tempo question

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Wed Feb 3 02:55:26 CET 2021

I often enjoy the simplicity of hard-wired logic. There's no firmware to load, and everything just works with nanosecond latency.

However, a microprocessor will allow you to make an adaptive algorithm more easily. Also, you can experiment with different adaptive algorithms without having to change the hardware.

You can make discrete logic adaptive. For example, loading a latch register with a gated clock, where the gating logic looks for certain conditions, is one way to do it. But it gets very complicated to build in a lot of smarts. In other words, you'd probably get better results with more than just a shift register and PLL.

Brian Willoughby