[sdiy] Tap tempo question

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Feb 2 11:59:53 CET 2021

I am on the list.

I don’t think there’s a “more sensible” or “accepted” way to do it. It depends on the purpose.

Averaging makes some sense where you’ve got a human tapping, and Brian is right that weighted averages are a good idea to give more recent times more importance. Rather than doing hard sums, on a PIC it makes sense to do this weighting by using bit shifts (so choose from weights of 1, 0.5, 0.25, or 0.125!!).

However, if you’re likely to use the tap tempo input for syncing the delay to incoming tempos from a drum machine or sequencer or similar, then just measuring the last two pulses and using those only makes the thing much more responsive. You don’t need to worry for a delay, but for my tap tempo LFOs, I also needed to think about the phase, and it’s important to reset or adjust the phase so that the LFO waveform is on the beat, not just in time.

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY