[sdiy] Lo ve HultÃ(c)n designs

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Tue Aug 31 13:19:02 CEST 2021

>From what I can read, Teenage Engineering only does about $11m a year, so I'd be surprised if they make 10,000 of a single product.  And they're in bed with Ikea which really is on the tackiest end of mainstream as you can get.

But even Moog doesn't make 10000 a year of any one product, let alone as a limited edition.   Model D's were about 3-4000 a year when they last made them.  1000 maybe more suited to a semi-limited edition, but that adds more of an uplift needed for the designer if you're going to use their name.

That said, paying a good product designer is definitely worth it.  An awful lot of musical equipment has zero styling, but often that's the aim of course to just look functional.