[sdiy] headphone driver for synths

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sun Aug 29 08:30:44 CEST 2021

Thanks for the explanation, and sorry for the question, but is the opamp *output* controlling everything? ... or is it actually the "amount of current draw on each supply pin" that is controlling each transistor?

Yes, the opamp will work (pump or sink current) until the output voltage matches the input voltage (due to unity negative feedback), but it still seems like the "control" is the supply current. Everything else seems to be a reaction to that.

Technically, the supply current depends on the difference between the input voltage and the output voltage, so the input voltage is controlling everything. The supply current is controlling the transistors. The load is controlled by a combination of the transistor pair and the op-amp feedback.

I still can't remember all the active modes of the bipolar transistor, so I'm probably only thinking about the typical mode.

Brian