[sdiy] headphone driver for synths

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Aug 25 12:35:56 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 04:49:34PM +0000, ulfur hansson via Synth-diy wrote:
> hello all!
>
> i've been getting mixed results for a few yeara using standard opamp circuits to drive headphones for my projects. oscillations randomly seem to occur, noise issues that disappear if i use nice outboard preamp etc...
>
> is there a more juicy/capable solution anyone can think of? THAT corp line drivers? discrete transistor drivers?
>
> any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
> -ulfur

My standard headphone amp is basically a ripoff of the headphone amp used in the Kurzweil K2000 and countless others (E-Mu ESI springs to mind) with an opamp driving a complementary pair of small transistors.  I used a TL071 (or TL072 for stereo) and BC548/BC558, because it's what I've got great big poly tubs of in the workshop.

I've built hundreds of these amps and never had one fail.

--
Gordonjcp