[sdiy] Digital encoders missing codes in many devices - why?

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Aug 22 00:37:49 CEST 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 12:04:16PM -0400, David Riley via Synth-diy wrote:

> There’s a reason ball mice used optical encoders. They last practically forever. Most brushless DC motors and other servos also use optical encoders. For some military hardware I worked with (the carrier-side instrument landing system antenna motors), we used a magnetic encoder, which I’ve not seen elsewhere.

I used to have a remarkably cheap and crappy serial mouse for my PC that used mechanical encoders, a litle disc of PCB material with fingers etched on and little springy contacts pressing against it.

It worked quite well, until it didn't, and then a squirt of pot cleaner got it going again for another few months.  Some time around buying my first AMD Duron I replaced it with a USB Microsoft scrollywheely mouse, which I still have and which still works.  It worked straight out of the box in Slackware but has never had driver support in Windows.

--
Gordonjcp